Pages

22.7.11

Golden Birthday

My boy turned 11 on the 11th in 2011 this year...here are some belated pictures of his day filled with train rides, sushi, and cake.

Mom and Birthday Boy 
Matt and MyGirl 
A Boy and his Sushi



MyBoy wanted his cake this year to have Katniss' pin of the Mockingjay (from the Hunger Games series) as the theme.  So we got out the frosting and started drawing.  He also designed a yummy cake:  orange flavored yellow cake with raspberry filling and butter cream cheese frosting.  We love our annual birthday cake making tradition.

The train into Portland was a fun adventure for the kids.  MyBoy wanted to stand but hurried back to his seat next to me when he said "a hippie" got on.  I asked him to point out this apparently scary "hippie" and after locating the passenger realized that MyBoy had meant to say "hobo"!  The man was carrying all of his belongings on his back it seemed and was a bit dirty and hobo-ish.  It's good for the kids to realize other lifestyles are out there.

We had a great Powell's trip where the kids bought some books.  MyBoy picked up a copy of Homer's Odyssey which had been rewritten as a graphic novel.  (He sure has good taste.)  He also chose some more of the Artemis Fowl series and a book on monster identification.  I guess this birthday was a bit book oriented.

The whole day really was lovely, I always enjoy a big adventure out with the kids, and of course my hubby.  And birthdays really should be extra special.

5 thoughts:

cathouseprints said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! Love the pictures - they are great and your kids are adorable!

h said...

My golden birthday was last year...and I had never heard of the concept until just a week before it happened, lol. Looks like your son had a better heads up than me!

Unknown said...

Cathouse~thanks, I thought it was just my bias..they are adorable!
Iris~Happy belated golden birthday!! My next one won't be until I'm 99. haha

Anonymous said...

What a crazy birthday to have, 11-11-11. Great pics (mouth watering!)




I'm having a giveaway on my blog...head over to check it out

www.suite4e.com

20 YORK STREET said...

Wow, congratulations! That is such an amazing number of years that you've bee blogging!

These photos are amazing!

besos,
ML
Bonjour, come say hello!
Twenty York Street
http://www.twentyyork.com/2011/06/i-am-fashion-are-you.html

Twenty York Street

Post a Comment

I love your comments. Please comment away so that I can come visit your blog and see what you are up to!