Pages

18.7.12

All Business & Love



1) Faceted Faux Gem Post Earring
2) Rainy Day Dangles In Sterling Silver and Turquoise




Did you know that a 6 minute hug produces enough serotonin to create some happy in a person?

I think that working on something you love working on must have a similar effect.  And the more I think about it, the more I realize that in doing something I genuinely love to do, I am becoming more and more fulfilled.

When I have some down time, I find myself designing new work.  In the middle of the night when I can't sleep, I am thinking about Tarnished & True, and dreaming of new concepts, new approaches to my work.

Yesterday, I was walking with Matt.  I love our morning walks.  A stray dog appeared, no collar, and was skittish of Matt and just rough enough around the edges to be a little bit scary.  But when I talked to the dog, he was calm and seemed interested in some affection.

When I was a little girl, maybe 7 or 8, my best friend at the time (Amanda who lived next door) and I were walking around and came to a pickup with a big dog in the back.  She was so intent on petting this big dog.  I remember it looking really intimidating.  I didn't want to pet the dog.  She put out her hand and the dog licked her palm.  I knew I had to try too.

The dog bit me and I got to enjoy the aftermath of a rabies shot as well.  It was such a disappointment to be bitten.  I think that hurt more than the bite.

This other dog, on my walk with Matt, felt the same way.  I was a little worried.  I wanted to put out my hand and trust that the good thing would happen.  I hesitated.  But this time, when I gave in to the risk...I was rewarded with some understanding.

That little bit of affection was beautiful.

I remember listing my first piece of jewelry and feeling so obsolete in the ocean of sellers out there in the world.  It was intimidating and scary to put my work out there.  My first few sales felt like luck.  It was scary to work on a piece and then send it off to someone I had never met, and to be at the mercy of their review.

What kept me going then, and what keeps me going now, is that I love what I do, just as much as I love hugs and puppies.  I would be making things in metal and designing jewelry in my spare time anyhow.  And this week was no different.

My shop continues to grow, and I am so thankful.

Reach out, despite the risk.

Happiness is a choice.

0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

I love your comments. Please comment away so that I can come visit your blog and see what you are up to!